Saturday, 6 August 2011

Fisherfield Big 6, August'11

by Richard Kermode

Costa del Fisherfield We walked in to Shenaval in the sunshine with some great views of the Fisherfield peaks and made our plans in a quiet bothy. Midges on tent It didn't take long for the midges to find us though!

The next day we crossed the rivers and climbed up Beinn a'Chlaidheimh in very muggy low cloud that seemed to stay clinging to the summits all day. It was only after a very hot traverse of Sgurr Ban and Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair that we were treated to a view of the wild landscapes around us as the sun came out for a hour during which we rested...

Sadly the summit never quite came out from beneath their hats of cloud and after a visit to Beinn Tarsuinn we returned to the Shenaval for the evening.

Early in the morning we heard the wind and rain start up, but when we set off it was all quiet and we were soon well on our way to A'Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor with the promise of a views. As we gained our first views of the mountains the rain came on and decided to join us for the rest of the day more or less (because we were such good company!) and so we were denied the views from the summit of A'Mhaighdean. As we emerged from the cloud Ruadh Stac Mor was free of the cloud and so we scampered up the bouldery slopes towards the summit in an attempt to get the views only to be greeted with strong gusting squalls of even heavier rain. Oh well!

We didn't hang around long and were soon back on a good track towards Shenaval and the swollen rivers when the rain came down even more fiercely for several hours. The rivers and waterfalls forming on the impressive sandstone and quartzite cliffs were stupendous! Unfortunately the rain had reminded the boggy corner what it was meant to do so we endured some heavy going between river crossings to reach the bothy where everybody was taking shelter from the storm and a jolly night was had by all with a fire and whisky!

The rain showed no sign of letting up and the rivers were breaking their banks throughout the Strath so we decided to make for the cars the following morning and did so with gusty winds and light showers before a gorgeous hour of sunshine saw us leaving the Fisherfield wilderness.