Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Ceannacroc Circuit, Dec'10

A bit of a rest from the thick snow, and I darted towards Kintail. Above Loch Cluanie, and south of Glen Affric there's a group of several Munro and Corbett peaks. I'd approached the Munros Sail Chaorain, Carn Ghluasaid and Sgurr nan Conbhairean from Loch Cluanie in the past, but to include the two Corbetts to the north-east, a different approach was needed. I decided to try and head in from Glen Moriston following the River Doe. An obvious track can be cycled along, tho a bike with strong suspension is needed to cope with the rough sections beyond the houses. 6km up the glen, the bike was left by 2 bridges and I headed directly up Aonach Shasuinn. Bitterly cold with crisp air and superb views.

Down and over to Carn a'Choire Ghairbh, then a slog up to Sail Chaorainn, I was beginning to run out of daylight, so cut the walk short and headed down eastwards to pick up my bike for the return.

Back in the woods, and now in near darkness, the sound of my bike on the rough track disturbed a deer which then charged into the fence, trapping its foot in the wire. With a bit of effort and some patience, I managed to free the leg and off it bounded, forgetting the pain it had just endured. Back to the car, temperature was now well below zero !

Photos of the stunning views are on My Flickr page.