Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Arran, May'10

The main ferry to Arran takes a mixed group of people to the island - hill walkers, golfers, twitchers and groups just wanting a weekend on alcohol. The latter tend to stick in Brodick, so away from this town, the island is idilic. For me, the hills beckoned. Friday was spent exploring the western part of the Glenrosa Horseshoe - Beinn Tarsuin, A'Cir, Cir Mhor and a detour up Caisteal Abhail. Superb scenery, some easy scrambling. Saturday was taken up with the Goatfell race - last year I fell badly and ended up in A & E getting several stitches - this year I was determined to cross the finish line intact and in under 1:30hr. Perfect conditions enabled a finish time of 1:29 and no injury. I thought I was a fast descender, but Alan Smith is incredible. Back on the mainland, the evening was spent catching up with friends while admiring the view back to Arran from their house with its elevated position.