Tuesday, 17 November 2009

Druim Fhada chase and Garbh Bheinn, Nov'09

Last year I tried my hand at the Druim Fhada chase, hated it and ended up in the Belford Memorial Hospital getting stitches. Thought I'd never come back, but decided to put to bed the demons of last year by having a go again. I knew what to expect this time, and didn't put a huge amount of effort in and ended up really enjoyed the race. Great views to Ben Nevis while running along the track. There were 5 of us jostling positions - Bruce Poll, John Coyle, Peter Ward Gary Barnett and myself for most of the way around the course. I had a sprint with Peter Ward for the last 100m to the finish - we pushed hard, but Peter beat me, then promptly fell on his knees and threw up - nice ! Youngster Robbie Simpson set a new record by taking over 2 minutes ouot of the previous one - well done to him.


As the race started at 11am and took me less that 50 minutes, we had time to bag a wee hill somewhere. I really enjoyed Meall na Gualainn last week, so opted for the Corbett Garbh Bheinn on the other side of Kinlochleven. Keith and I started out, the ground underfoot was soaking, slippy with hidden holes in the grass. Keith decided to chuck it in fairly quickly, as it was really unpleasant. We had a quick chat with a guy coming downhill, who assured us it got drier and easier further. He was right and I enjoyed a fine walk to the summit with it's interesting perspective on the Aonach Eagach ridge. Details of the route
here .