Sunday, 9 August 2009

Clisham, Harris and Ben Lee hill race, 4 Aug'09

On Clishams summitWe spent some time on Harris and Lewis - Clisham was excellent, Callanish Stones were interesting, north of Storonway was disappointing and scruffy, but the beach at Tolsta was beautiful with superb views to the mainland taking in Suilven, Foinaven, Quinag and Assynt. After returning home, I felt that although I'd ran around the Ben Lee race route on the previous Friday, it was cheating to put in the Pocket Mountains book as I hadn't done the race proper. So I returned to North Uist, this time by bike - it's so cheap to come by ferry, only £9.80 return ! On the race I made a boo-boo - I couldn't see the flags for the setting sun, so just aimed for the mast. Bad move, that was around 300m down the road from the checkpoint, I had to run back up the road, probably costing me a minute or so. Still, managed to win, but only just. An interesting and tough race, you can just to walk it if you like - setting off 30 minutes earlier. Some photos on Flickr page.