Friday, 19 June 2009

Ben Ledi, Ben Vane and the Ben Shean Hillrace, 17 Jun'09

It's been around 15 years since I wandered up Ben Ledi and Ben Vane above Loch Lubnaig, so with the hillrace just up the road later in the day, I thought I'd have a quick jog up these fine corbetts. A blustery day, the heavy rain showers had died out by the time I headed out and my effort was rewarded with some fine views over the Central Belt.

The Ben Shean (or is it Ben Sheann, or even An Sidhean ?) hillrace is one of my favourites - short, steep and with the fastest descent I know off. The run back down through the thick forest is like being in one of the buggies in the mines in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Tho this year it was wet and slippy underfoot and I nearly went a cropper a couple of times, so I think I might have slowed a bit. I was fifth overall and held onto top V40 spot for the 3rd year running. Results on the
SHR website soon.