Monday, 25 May 2009

Isle of Jura Fell Race, 23 May'09

Not just a hill race - a weekend event !

We couldn't get our campervan on the ferry to Jura for the race weekend, so went across on my own on the more direct Tayvallaich-Craighouse passanger ferry - fast and great fun. Friday evening was calm, sunny and beautiful. Saturday morning and the clag was down. The Jura race is tough, but in clear conditions, I'm told the route is obvious. So I was hoping for a sub 4 hour race-time. But it was anything but clear - so although I didn't get lost as such, I was off route several times, and coming off the second last summit alone I lost at least twenty minutes by dropping too much height. Still, this is a wonderful long distance race over heather, grass, boulders and scree - I just wish we didn't have to run the 3 mile finish along the road. So well organised too, I now understand why this is booked up so quickly.