Monday, 6 April 2009

Slieve Bearnagh, 4 Apr'09

The first British Championship race of the year was, as usual in the Mournes Mountains in Northern Ireland. A tough little race with grassy uphill slogs, heather trods and some technical descents. One of the descents was pure joy - steep and boulder-strewn, but just right for those of us who love to run downhill at speed, throwing all nervousness aside, overtaking and catching up pansies who take more care ! A sprint finish between myself and team-mate Stewart Whitlie saw me trip and head-plant into the wet grass and sheep-poo a few strides before the tape. So, two seconds behind Stewart, I ending up 30th overall. Being a British Champoinship race, the creme of the nations hillrunners were present and the likes of me appeared up further down the field compared to most races. Still, 5th team overall and 3rd vets team is a pretty good result. Results here, more details here and more photos on my Flickr page.