Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Loch Muick circuit, 14 Apr'09

Broad Cairn on the path out to Loch MuickA sneezing and sniffling cold seemed to take hold over the weekend, and it wasn't until Tuesday that I felt I had enough energy to get up some hills. Loch Muick with Lochnagar is a fabulous area to enjoy hillwalking, mountain-biking, wildlife spotting or just taking it easy for a low-level stroll around the loch. For me, the circuit of 5 munros and 1 corbett above the loch is a terrific hill-running route and today, with the mist down on the tops, also a good chance to test my navigation skills on the featureless plateaus west of Lochnagar. The easter break had encouraged many folk to visit, most of them just heading to Lochnagar by the main path and not venturing beyond. The cloud lifted in the afternoon to give some fine, if hazy views. My previous pb up this group was 3hr, I pushed hard and managed to take 5 minutes from that.