Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Clachnaben Hillrace, 11 Apr'09

Easter weekend was not only eggs tumbling down hills, but scraped and scarred hillrunners too !

The Clachnaben Hillrace this year featured as a SHR Championship event, attracting 200 or so to the start in the densely forested lower slopes. The race takes the form of a trail race on the tracks, followed by gradual climbs up and down thick heather clad slopes. Therefore not my kind of race, and as such, even with the sunny conditions, I really couldn't summon up much enthusiasm. The granite tor on the summit was worthy of a play on, but no time to stop. I was later asked if this hill was a Graham, I believe it is, but you you ain't allowed to tick it off if you've not been on top of the tor ! If you do this race next year, then run with legs covered as I ended up with bloody limbs caused by the deep heather scraping my legs and knees. Results and photos on the SHR website.